Tambopata National Reserve
ModestAn economical, no frills option.
Full-on jungle fun! Join your assigned guide for hikes, and canopy tours, help a researcher discover new species, and enjoy family adventures in the rainforest, then unwind at the comfortable lodge. It’s all part of the Refugio Amazonas experience.
Just 4 hours after leaving Puerto Maldonaldo you arrive at Refugio Amazonas, which feels a world away. The lodge is in a 200-hectare private reserve in the buffer zone of the Tambopata National Reserve.
This is your home while you spend days out hiking in the rainforest, watching macaws at clay licks, climbing the canopy tower to see toucans and other treetop birds and even using a drone to get a bird’s eye view of the canopy.
There are special activities for children and the chance to join researchers of the Wired Amazon programme as they set up webcams and look for new species.
At the lodge you are treated to wholesome buffet food in the huge open dining room, you can watch monkeys from the second floor loft-lounge and chill out with a brazil-nut beer or a massage at the spa. You can even see and hear wildlife from your room, with its open wall facing the rainforest, and listen to jungle noises at night. Magical!
Times to Go
Refugio Amazonas is open all year. In the dry season (May to October) activities are unlikely to be disrupted by rain. In the rainy season (November to April) you have the benefit of greater activity at the macaw clay licks.
Refugio Amazonas highlights
- Wonderful views from the canopy tower
- Hundreds of macaws at the clay lick
- Headquarters of the citizen science programme: Wired Amazon
- Walking trails and boat trips
- Aerobotany – drones to explore the jungle
- Choice of therapeutic spa treatments
- Passionate and knowledgeable naturalist guides
Peru Travel Specialists
Talk to one of our specialists
about a tailor-made Peru holiday.
We will listen to you, then give you
great ideas and our best advice.
Call: +44 (0)1473 599008
Refugio Amazonas location
- 32 rooms and suites
- Open all year round
- Children aged 4 and over welcome
- Access is by boat. Be prepared for a steep climb up the steps from the river to the top of the bank where the lodge is.
- Lounge-dining room (all meals included)
- Bar (alcohol at extra cost)
- Viewing loft
- Group guided activities are included
- Private guided tours are optional (extra cost)
- Macaw and mammal clay licks
- Take a catamaran around an oxbow lake to see hoatzin and other lakeside wildlife
- 25-m canopy tower
- Ethnobotanical forest tour
- Day and night jungle walks
- Visit a family-owned rainforest farm
- Brazil nut forest hike
- Sunset river cruise
- Join a researcher for walks and explorations
- Camera trapping
- Use a drone to get bird’s eye views
- Special activities for children
Refugio Amazonas rooms
There are 32 rooms comprising 14 superior and 14 comfort rooms and 4 suites. All have mosquito nets over the beds, limited electricity (3 times a day) a safe and an en suite shower room with hot water and a supply of toiletries. Each room has an open wall facing the rainforest.
Superior rooms (42 sq m) have 2 or 3 single beds, and some have a hammock.
Comfort rooms (42 sq m) have 2 large beds, a hammock and Wi-Fi, and are supplied with slippers and an umbrella.
Suites (52 sq m) have a king-sized bed and the same facilities as comfort rooms plus a ceiling fan and terrace with a seating area and minibar.
Luis the Llama likes this because…
“Rainforest Expeditions, who own and operate Refugio Amazonas, has long been an advocate for sustainable tourism and conservation, working alongside local communities to preserve the natural environment and wildlife. They share income generated from tourism with local communities and farmers, many of whom work at their lodges.”
And don’t forget … for every booking we take, Peru Specialists (which is part of Tribes Travel) plants trees in deforested areas of South America and Africa through The Travel Forest, and we also back The Tribes Foundation’s conservation and social projects. You can read more about our TRAVEL + PROTECT initiative on our Tribes website, including ways you can help with our ongoing projects.
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to Peru. Tell us what you want, and we will tailor make your perfect trip.
Call: 01473 599008